My photo
Hi, I'm Chris Etheridge, politics 3rd year, YUSU Campaigns officer, former treasurer of 2 societies, former chair of a society, organiser of the charity walks for Haiti and Gaza which raised over £5,000, and candidate for Democracy and Services officer. Like you, I'm tired of being bombarded with unrealistic promises by those seeking office. So that's now my promise to you: No More Broken or Empty Promises.

Monday 1 March 2010

Manifesto

I’m Chris Etheridge, and like you, I’m tired of candidates making promises that they can’t fulfil. In my experience, this damages politics and turns people off. We deserve a better type of candidate.

I have organised four society balls, and the charity walks for Gaza and recently Haiti, which raised over £5,000 for desperate people. Using this experience, I promise to work with dedication to bring the big three back to central hall – headlining bands, travelling theatre productions, and top comedy acts.

I am a candidate for all the colleges, not just one, and that’s why I promise to put 24-hour library drop-boxes on Heslington East, where Goodricke are (and soon Langwith), and in Halifax. I will also overhaul the campus bike hire service, to help students from those further colleges to reach campus easier.

Using my experience as YUSU Campaigns officer, and as treasurer of two large societies, I promise to make sure that construction begins on a swimming pool on Heslington East within the next 18 months. Students often feel ill-informed about YUSU. That’s why I promise to revamp the YUSU newsletter, and to make better use of the plasma screens around campus. I will also introduce a traffic light system to show how we are progressing with our policy promises, because I’m tired, and you’re tired, of broken promises by those in charge.

I understand what makes a good event, and that’s why I promise to sell Viking Raid routes separately, so that friends can guarantee being together. I also promise to introduce food-themed nights at the Courtyard, such as curry nights and a summer BBQ.
And I promise to put water dispensers in the library.

But more than anything, I make this promise to you: No more broken or empty promises. Not from me, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment